I Am Sophie Tucker: A Fictional Memoir
By Susan Lloyd Ecker
ARC e-book, 275 pages
2014, Prospecta Press
ISBN: 9781632260062 (hardcover)
I received this book for free from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. This does not affect my opinion of the book or the content of my review.
From NetGalley: From 1906 through the beginning of television, Sophie Tucker and her bawdy, brash, and risqué songs paved the way for future female performers. Tucker tried to get her story published for nine years, without success. Undaunted, Sophie hired half a dozen ghostwriters, but she still had no takers for her no holds barred autobiography. Eventually, Doubleday published a sanitized version in 1945. “After immersing ourselves in Sophie’s papers and surviving friends,” says co-author Lloyd Ecker, “this initial volume is what should have been the actual autobiography of Tucker. Though she obsessively documented her life, Sophie loved to exaggerate for dramatic effect. This volume is 85% fact, the other 15% who knows?” I Am Sophie Tucker puts back all of the delicious bits nixed by Doubleday’s lawyers and throws in other Tucker show business dirt, intrigue, arrests, romance, murder, gangsters, and scandals.
In short, this book was cute.